593rd EBSR

"Our Business is Beachheads - The History of the 593rd EB&SR" by Ernest W. Paquette.

"Memoirs of a Frog" by Henry Ross Payne

Released in June of 2008, "Memoirs" follows Henry through the war as he served in New Guinea and Borneo with the Boat Battalion of the 593rd. Personal recollections are blended with unit operations. This 216 page book may be available on Ebay and Amazon.

Henry "Hank" Payne passed away on July 4th 2012
Proud of his country and proud of his service with the 593rd !

History of the 593rd EBSR from the 533rd History "Surf and Sand" and from the National Archives as extracted from the original records of the 593rd. Collected by John Stauthammer and contributed by Welton Stein Aug,29,2001

Immediately upon landing in Milne Bay without its Boat Battalion in December 1943 the Regiment, under Colonel Oliver W. van den Berg, found itself faced with orders to move to Goodenough Island 80 miles away. Converting Company E to an emergency boat company and taking over a fleet of dilapidated LCVPs, the Regiment moved over mountain trails to Goodenough Bay and ferried itself to Goodenough. There it performed engineering and port work for Alamo base force.

In February, Company B moved forward to Finschhafen and Arawe where it supported the 112th Cavalry Regiment in its coastal drive east along the south shore of New Britain to and beyond the important Jap base at Gasmata. In March Company C relieved our C Company at Saidor where it teamed with the 5th Australian Division in its drive from Bogajim and Madang to Hansa Bay and Manam Island. In January 1945 this company again relieved the 533d, this time at Aitape and supported the 6th Australian Division as it moved eastward toward Boram and Wewak.

Meanwhile in April 1944 the 593d, less B and C Companies, was part of the great task force that originally enveloped Wewak and secured Hollandia. The Regiment landed with the 128th and 163d Combat Teams at Aitape and cleared the off-lying group of islands including Seleo where company A remained until August. The Regiment, less the Boat Battalion, re-embarked and on May 17 provided the shore party for the force that landed at Arara and then jumped across the narrow strait to take Wadke Island. The smallness of the island, coupled with a fanaticism rare even for a Jap garrison, made this a pretty hot beach.

The Regiment's next assignment was Noemfoor Island southwest of Biak. With a 543d boat company and attached to the 158th RCT, it landed on the coral reefs of Noemfoor early in July. Here the Shore Battalion remained for many months building airstrips, roads and jetties. The cancellation of the K-1 plan for invading Mindanao kept the Regiment out of the Philippines until June 1945.

The Boat Battalion early in 1945 was attached to the First Australian Army and concentrated at Morotai. Company B served with the 9th Australian Division's 26th Brigade that seized Tarakan Island, off Northeast Borneo, early in May. A few weeks later the same division landed at Brunei Bay on Borneo's northwest coast, this time with Company C, 593d, which was joined by B Company after a long rough trip around through the Sulu Archipelago. In the labyrinth bays and rivers washing the important oil fields in this area these boat companies led a life similar to the 533d's in Mindanao and contributed materially to the speedy completion of the campaign. In July, Company A was part of the 7th Australian Division task force that seized the Balikpapan area in Dutch Borneo.

During the summer of 1945, the Regiment, now under command of Lt. Col. Shaeffer, started to concentrate at Batangas, Luzon. It was attached to the 77th Infantry Division for the occupation of Japan and, less the Boat Battalion which was still largely employed in the Borneo clean-up, it moved to Otaru on northwest Hokkaido. After two months there it returned to the United States via Yokohama for inactivation.


These are transcripts of documents sent to John Stauthammer. Additional materials contributed by Welton Stein.

History 593RD Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment, 3rd Engineer Special Brigade


1. 593rd Engineer Boat Regiment Activated at Camp Edwards, Mass. per General Order 33, Hqs. E.A.C., dated [01] August 1942, Major Clarence R. Trotter, Commanding.

2. First enlisted men assigned and reported on 8 August 1942, Consisting of cadre from 33rd Division, Camp Forrest, Tennessee.

3. Colonel Oliver W. Van Den Berg assumed command of the 593rd Engineer Boat Regime 27 August 1942. Strength: 24 Officers 436 EM. All Officeres were assigned from Engineer Amphibian Comand, Enlisted men consisted primarily of cadre from Camp Forrest, Tennessee,: Pine Camp, New York: Camp Croft, S.C.: Fort Bragg, N.C.: Camp Lee, Va.: Fort E. Warren, Wyo.: Fort George E. Meade, Md. ; Fort Ord, Calif,; Camp Crowder Mo.; Fort Leonard Wood, Mo,; Fort Williams Maine,; A high percentage of enlisted men recruited for duty with Engineer Amphibian Brigades thru special EAC recruiting program reported without having received basic training.


1. Per General Order 66, Hqs. E.A.C., dated 8 November 1942, the 593rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment was activated composed of 2/3 of Hq and Hq Company, 2/3 of medical Detachment and complete 1st Battalion, 593rd Engineer Boat Regiment, plus the 2nd Battalion 533rd Engineer Shore Regiment.

Oliver W. Van den Berg in command of 593rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment. 2nd Battalion 593 Engineer Boat Regiment redsignated Boat Battalion, 533rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment 3rd Battalion 593rd Engineer Boat Regiment redesignated Boat Battalion, 543rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment. Remaining 1/3 of Hq and Hq Company and Medical Detachment, 593rd Engineer Boat Regiment joined with similar detachments from 533rd Engineer Shore Regiment to compose Hq and Hq Company and Medical Detachment, 543rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment Maintance Company, 593rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment. Maintenance Company, 593rd Engineer Boat Regiment became an organic maintenance company of the 563rd Engineer Boat Maintenance Battalion. Tank Lighter Company, 593rd Engineer Boat Regiment Departed Camp Edwards 11 November 1942 by Organic Craft, and upon arrival at Camp Carrabelle, Fla, 13 December 1942, personnel of the company were reassigned to the three 3rd EAB Regiments and the company deactivated.

2. Per General Order 45, Hqs, 3rd Engineer Special Brigade, dated 19 May 1943, the 593rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment was redesignated the 593rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment. Colonel Oliver W. Van Den Berg in commond of 539rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment.

3. Boat Battalian, 593rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment inactivated on or about 22 December 1945, at Camp Stoneman, California.

4. Hq and Hq, Company, Shore Battalion and Medical Detachment inactivated 22 December 1945, at Vancouver Barracks, Washington.


1. Strength of Regiment upon activation: 6 August 1942: 5 Officers 0 EM

2. During month of August 1942 strength increased to: 240 Officers 436 EM

3. At end of September 1942, Regiment was 85% of T/O strength

4. Regiment provided cadre for 4th Engineer Special Brigade, January 1943

5. 320 EM assigned and joined the Regiment 23 July 1943.

6. 152 EM of Hq Hq Co. and Shore Battalion transferred thru readjustment program while stationed at Batagas, Luzon, P.I., September 1943

7. 395 EM of Hq Hq Co. and Shore Battalion transferred thru readjustment program while stationed at Otaru , Hokkaido, Japan, November 1945.

8. Boat Battalion strength at Borneo and Batangas, prior to departure for inactivation at Camp Stoneman, decreased thru readjustment program dates and number of personnel not available.

9. Strength of Boat Battalion at date of deactivation at Camp Stoneman on or about 22 December 1945 not available.

10. Strength of Hq and Hq Company and Shore Battalion at Inactivation, Vancouver Barracks, Washington 22 December 1945: 19 Officers 191 EM


1. Station at activation 6 August 1942, Camp Edwards, Mass.
2. Hq. and Hq. Company and 1st Battalion, 593rd EBR moved from Camp Edwards, Mass. to Camp Cotuit, Mass., 17 August 1942.
3. 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 593rd EBR moved from Camp Edwards, Mass. to Camp Cotuit, Mass., 2 September 1942.
4. 1st Battalion and 2/3 Hq. and Hq. Company and Medical Detachment 593rd E[?]R moved with 2nd Battalion 533rd ESR from Camp Cotuit, Mass. to Camp Carabelle, Florida 1 November 1942. 2nd and 3rd Battalions 593rd E[ ]R and balance of Hq. and Hq. Company and Medical Detachment followed movement of 1st Battalion to Camp Carabelle, Florida.
5. 593rd Engineer Amphibian Regiment moved in echelons from Camp Gordon Johnston, (Carabelle) Florida to East Garrison, Fort Ord, California commencing 17 April 1943.
6. Selected boat personnel of 593rd EAR and 4th Engineer Amphibian Brigade departed Camp Gordon Johnston, Florida 28 March 1943 by boat Convoy consisting of 31 LCMs, 2 LCVs, 2 LCPLs 1 - 18 Utility Boat, and 2 J type staff boats, arriving at Camp Edwards, Mass. 5 May 1942. 593rd EAR boat convoy personnel departed Camp Edwards by rail 15 May 1943, rejoining Regiment at East Garrison, Fort Ord, California 20 May 1943.
7. Specified units of 593rd EB & SR departedEast Garrison, Fort Ord, California in echelons by motor convoy, commencing 22 May 1943, for traing in anti-aircraft firing at Leach Lake, California. Training periods for each group lasted approxomately one week with selected Shore Battalion personnel and all units of Boat Battalion participating.
8. Boat Battalion departed East Garrison, Fort Ord, California 5 July 1943 for Santa Cruz, California for traing in swimming and boat operation.
9. Selected personnel of Shore Battalion departed East Garrison, Fort Ord, Caliofornia 12 July 1942 for Oakland, California for stevedore instruction.
10. Regiment moved from East Garrison to Main Garrison.
11. Boat Battalion returned to Fort Ord 27 July 1943 after having completed a 38 mile march from Santa Cruz.
12. Shore Battalion and Hq. and Hq. Company departed Fort Ord 28 July 1943 for Santa Cruz, California for swimming instructions.
13. Shore Battalion and Hq. and Hq. Company returned to Fort Ord from Santa Cruz, 21 August 1943.
14. Shore Battalion departed Fort Ord 21 November 1943 for Camp Stoneman, California staging area, arriving same date.
15. Shore Battalion departed Camp Stoneman 23 November 1943, embarking on transport USS West Point, and debarking at Milne Bay, New Guinea, 11 December 1943.
16. Boat Battalion and Hq, and Hq. Company departed Fort Ord, California 12 December 1943 for Camp Stoneman staging area.
17. Advance echelon Shore Battalion departed Milne Bay 14 December 1943 for Goodenough Island by landing craft. Movement of entire Battalion completed 27 December 1943.
18. Hq. and Hq. Company and Boat Battalion departed Camp Stoneman 8 January 1944, embarking aboard the USAT Sea Flasher, and departing 2 February 1944 at Goodenough Island.
19. Advance echelon of Regiment departed Goodenough Island 9 February 1944 by landing craft for Finschafen, New Guinea, arriving 26 February.
20. Companies B and E departed Goodenough Island 24 February 1944 by organic landing craft for Finschafen, New Guinea, arriving 26 February.
21. Company E arrived Arawe, New Britain 28 February 1944.
22. Company B departed Finschafen 4 March 1944 for Arawe, New Britain by organic craft.
23. Company E departed Arawe 17 March 1944 for Finschafen.
24. Regimental S-2 Section completed 19 March 1944 patrol work started 6 March at Subdidi and Gasmata.
25. Elements of Hq. and Hq. Company and Shore Battalion less Company E departed Goodenough Island 19 March 1944 by LST for Finschafen arriving 21 March 1944.
26. Remaining elements of Hq. and Hq. Company, Boat Battalion Hq. and Hq. Company and Company A departed Goodenough Island 27 March 1944 by organic craft for Finschafen arriving 29 March.
27. Shore Battalion and Company A departed Finschafen 18 April 1944 for combat landing at Aitape, New Guinea landing 22 April.
28. Company C arrived Madang, New Guinea 28 April 1944 landing an Australian Regiment.
29. Shore Battalion departed Aitape 15 May 1944 for combat landing 17 May ar Arara, Dutch New Guinea. E Company made combat landing 18 May at Wakde Island.
30. Hq. and Hq. Cmpany fepartd Finschaffen 18 June for Arara, arriving 22 June 1944.
31. Company B arrived by organic craft at Arara from Arawe, New Britain, 30 June 1944.
32. Shore Battalion made combat landing 2 July 1944 at Noemfoor Island.
33. Hq. and Hq. Company arrived Noemfoor Island 11 July from Arara.
34. B Company arrived Noemfoor Island 21 August 1944 by organic craft from Arara.
35. Hq. Company Boat Battalion arrived Noemfoor Island from Finschhafen 2 September 1944.
36. Company A arroved Noemfoor Island 13 October 1944 from Aitape.
37. One platoon, Company B, departed Noemfoor Island 13 January 1945 for Sansapor, Dutch New Guinea.
38. Company C departed Madang 31 January 1945 for Aitape, arriving 2 February 1945.
39. Company F departed Noemfoor Island 13 February for Biak Island.
40. Company F returned 4 March 1945 to Noemfoor Island.
41. Company B departed Noemfoor 2 April by organic craft, platoon at Sansapor joined and company arrived Morotai 6 April 1945.
42. Company C departed Aitape 17 April by organic craft and arived Morotai 3 May 1945.
43. Boat Battalion Hq and Hq Company and Company A departed Noemfoor Island 20 April by organic craft arriving Morotai 24 April 1945.
44. Company B staging from Morotai 27 April made combat landing with Australian forces at Tarakan Island, Borneo 1 May 1945.
45. Shore Battalion, Hq and Hq Company and Company D departed Noemfoor 7 May 1945, arriving Batangas, Luzon, P.I. 18 May.
46. Company F and elements of Hq an Hq Company departed Noemfoor 24 May 1945 arriving Batangas 1 June.
47. Company B departed Takan Island 31 May 1945 by organic craft arriving Labuan Island, Borneo 11 June.
48. Boat Battalion Hq and Hq Company and Company C departed Morotai 3 June 1945 and made combat landing 10 June 1945 at Labuan Island, Borneo.
49. Company A departed Morotai 26 June 1945 making combat landing at Balikpapan, Borneo 1 July 1945.
50. Company E and remaining elements of Hq an Hq Company departed Noemfoor 14 July arriving Batangas 24 July 1945.
51. Regiment less Boat Battalion departed Batangas 25 September landing at Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan 5 October 1945.
52. Company a departed Balikpapan 28 October arriving Batangas 5 November 1945.
53. Boat Battalion less Company A departed Labuan Island 30 October arriving Batangas 4 November 1945.
54. Regiment less Boat Battalion departed Otaru 20 November by rail, arriving 4th Replacement Depot Annex #1, Yokohama, Japan 23 November 1945.
55. Regiment less Boat Battalion embarked 7 December 1945 at Yokohama aboard USAT Sea Runner, arriving Portland, Oregon 19 december 1945.
56. Boat Battalion embarked on or about 2 December 1945 at Batangas, Luzon, P.I., arriving Camp Stoneman, California 19 December 1945.



  1. New Guinea - Total Regiment engaged
  2. New Britain - B and E Companes engaged
  3. Luzon - Hq. and Hq. Company and Shore Battalion engaged
  4. Borneo - Boat Battalion engaged


  1. AITAPE, NEW GUINEA, 22 April 1944, part of New Guinea Campaign. Shore Battalion and Company A landed 163rd RCT and supporting service troops. Beachhead and supply dumps established against slight opposition. Mission of Persecution Task Force accomplished. Base and airdrome facilities established.
  2. MADANG OPERATION - Madang, New Guinea, 28 April 1944, part of New guinea Campaign. C Company landed Australian Regiment against light opposition. TYroops and supplies placed ashore. Base established for further advances toward Wewak.
  3. WAKDE ISLAND, DUTCH NEW GUINEA, part of New Guinea Campaign Shore Battalion at Arara 17 May 1944 and E Comapny at Wakde Island 18 May 1944 landed 163rd RCT and supporting service troops against no opposition at Arara and heavy opposition at Wakde, establishing beachheads and supply dumps. Mission of tornado Task Force accomplished. Base and Airdrome facilities established.
  4. NOEMFOOR ISLAND, DUTCH NEW GUINEA 2 July 1944, part of New Guinea Campaign. Shore Battalion landed 158th RCT and supporting service troops, establishing beachhead and supply dumps against moderate opposition. Mission of Cyclone Task Force accomplished. Base and Airdome facilities established.
  5. OBOE ONE Operation, Tarakan Island, Borneo 1 May 1945. Part of Borneo Campaign. B company landed elements of 9th Australian Division against moderate opposition. Troops and supplies put ashore. Base and airdrome facilities established.
  6. OBOE SIX Operation, Brunei Bay, Borneo, 10 June 1945, part of Borneo Campaign. Boat Battalion less Company A landed 9th Australian Division Labuan Island, Borneo against light opposition, base and airdrome facilities established.
  7. OBOE TWO Operation, Balikpapan, Borneo, 1 July 1945, part of Borneo Campaign. a Company landed 7th Australian Division against light opposition. Troops and supplies placed ashore; base and airdrome facilities established.


    WIA - Wounded in Action, KIA - Killed in Action, DIS - Died in Service

  1. FORT ORD (Monterey), CALIFORNIA
    Pvt Ernesto A. Lucero 38349009 DIS Decemebr 3,1943

    Capt. Carmen C. Shaffer 0-268409 Regt. HQ. WIA

    2nd Lt Nicholas Christian0-1108552 Co A WIA
    2nd Lt Yancey L. James 0-1106850 Co A WIA
    S/Sgt Peter Raffaute 36351656 Co B WIA
    Tec 4 Edward A Allen 11053567 Co B WIA
    Tec 5 Joseph J Koster 36827922 Co B WIA
    PFC George N. Weber 36757781 Co B WIA
    PVT James E Comer 33642629 Co B WIA

    Pfc John E Oprendik 6905205 Co D KIA
    S/Sgt John A Murray 35452670 Co E WIA
    Pvt Wilbur E Karstens 37655983 Hqcobtbn WIA
    1st Lt Edward J Culliman0-401565 Hqcobtbn WIA
    Pvt Richard O McGee 34700338 Hqcoshbn WIA
    Pfc Gilbert J Woda 36827947 Co D WIA
    Pvt Michael W. Coval 32460044 Cod WIA
    Capt Terriell P Porter 0-405514 Hqcoshbn WIA
    S/Sgt Ernest F Titus 6589257 Co A WIA
    Tec 4 Fred M Bergman 31223038 Co A WIA
    2nd Lt Yancey L James 0-1106850 Co A WIA
    Pvt Charles A. Davidson 38405248 Co A WIA
    Pvt Glenrey J Keuler 3622728 Co A WIA
    Pvt Delbert Lowe 35357793 Co E MIA

  5. ARARA - Wakde Island
    Tec 5 George E Leduc 31115292 Co E KIA
    Tec 5 Robert A Butler 38513131 Co F WIA
    Pvt Richard L. Owens 38131048 Co E WIA
    Pfc William J Scott 36318898 Co E WIA
    Pvt Richard L. Marshall 3848595 Co F WIA
    Pfc Fred C. Michael 13116001 Med Det WIA
    Pvt Paul R. Shuldt 36731195 Med Det WIA
    Tec 4 Thomas J Gill Jr 34007275 Co E WIA
    Tec 5 Robert W Jeonegan 17068105 Co E WIA
    Pvt Domenico S Coucitta 12072060 Co F KIA
    Pvt Frank R. Wallace 39133675 Co E WIA
    Pfc Roy D O'Dell 3365710 Co F WIA
    Tec 5 LaVerne C. Wilson 36816826 Co D KIA
    T/Sgt Elton H Liles 34008313 HqCoshbn KIA
    Pvt Robert E. Taylor 36680194 Co E WIA

    1st Lt Zachary Buchalter 0-1107327 Hqshbn WIA
    Sgt Harry S. Mullen 36287798 Co F WIA
    Cpl Joseph H Sherek 36014288 Co F WIA
    Pfc Richard L Marshall 38458595 Co F WIA
    Pvt Trinidad Alvarez 39553522 Co F WIA
    Tec 4 Henry C Protinsky 32608846 Hqcoshbn WIA
    Tec 5 Roscoe M Moser 19167934 Hqcoshbn WIA
    Tec 5 Willar J Simila 36199797 Co F WIA
    Pvt John H Green 34802073 Co F WIA
    Pfc Bertrom R Johnson 34208335 Co F WIA

    Tec 5 Joseph F Mareinek 33374093 Co C WIA
    Pfc Charles F Freedlind 36749517 Co C WIA
    Tec 4 J.C. Goode 14108204` Co A KIA
    Tec 4 Roy D. Little 35384049 Co A WIA
    1st Lt Gardner Van Dyne 0-915646 Co A WIA
    Tec 5 Charles Rickenbacker (sp?) Co C DIS

    1st Lt Gregory S. Burtch 0-909863 Co B KIA

    1st Lt John L. Whitney 0-4102543 Hqcobtbn KIA
    Tec 4 Walker Goldschmidt 36900814 Co B KIA
    Pvt Wallace S Curtis 33642477 Co B KIA
    Tec 5 Frank S. Venorsky 35310159 Hqcobtbn KIA
    Pfc Jake McCallister Jr. 38320337 Hqcobtbn WIA
    Tec 5 Edward F Benham 110545 75 Co B WIA
    Tec 4 John A Lord 35352559 Co B WIA
    Tec 5 Kenneth C Saffer 32689758 Co B WIA
    Pvt Don R Cross 37703504 Co B WIA
    Tec 4 John J McGeehan 33477421 Co B WIA
    Capt Joseph M Cavanaugh 0-1102183 Co B WIA
    Tec 5 Warren J Christopheson 36821845 Co B WIA
    Pfc Wayne L Coyier 37674225 Co B WIA
    Pfc Ralph J Kujawa 36822085 Co B WIA
    Tec 4 Charles E Campton 35691979 1463EWC WIA
    Tec 4 Ernest E Ford 38015745 1463EMC WIA
    Tec 5 Joseph E Karjacek13098272 1463EMC WIA
    Pfc Benny J Banas 36608508 1463EMC WIA
    Pfc William E May 39312027 Co B WIA
    Pfc James P Woodruff 18121159 1463EMC WIA
    Pfc Harry W Ellis 39541756 1463EMC KIA
    Tec 5 Howard P. Morris 34722161 DIS

    Tec 4 Morris De Gregorio 3232175 Co A KIA
    Pfc John W Hoover 33654752 Co A KIA
    Tec 5 Harold A. Todd 37389967 Co A KIA
    1st Lt John E Sherlock 0-1107122 Co A WIA
    Pfc Buell R Morgan 12096350 Co A WIA
    Pfc Paul C Prail 35376100 Co A WIA
    Tec 5 Ted J Hartnett 39574137 Co A WIA
    Pfc Robert R Zakovsek 36301936 Co A WIA
    Pfc Lindsay E Waters Jr 17088761 Co A WIA
    Pvt Richard W Alf 36675388 Co A WIA
    Tec 5 Ernest J Wellman 35440753 Co A WIA
    Pfc Samuel A Womble 3845875 Co A WIA
    Pfc Robert L Burns 37611746 Co A WIA
    Tec 5 Frederick M Brown 36864671 Co A WIA
    Tec 4 Luther G Olinger 33642440 Co A WIA
    Tec 5 Joseph F Hart 6803029 Co A WIA
    Tec 5 Robert Vanskiver 33728156 Co A WIA

    Pfc William D Williams 35064235 Co F WIA


  1. Aitape Operation Shore Battalion commanded by Capt. Carman C Shaffer. A company commanded by Capt. Reeves Bunting. Regimental Commander, Colonel Oliver W. Van den Berg. attached to Sixth Army Cammanded persecution Task Force Shore Party.
  2. Madang Operation Company C Commanded by Capt. Robert L. Wood Jr.
  3. Wakde Operation Shore Battalion commanded by Major Carman C. Shaffer, Regimental Commander, Colonel Oliver W. van den Berg, attached to Sixth Army, commanded Tornado Task Force Shore Party.
  4. Noemfoor Island Operation Regiment Commanded by Colonel Oliver W. van den Berg, also commanding Cyclone Task Force Shore Party. Shore Battalion Commanded by Major Carman C. Shaffer.
  5. OBOE ONE Operation B Company Commanded by Capt. Joseph M. Cavanaugh.
  6. OBOE TWO Operation A Company commanded by Capt. John A. Seale.
  7. OBOE SIX Operation Boat Battalion Commanded by Lt. Colonel Charles V. McCaffrey, Hq. Company Boat Battalion commanded by 1st Lt. John Whitney, Company B commanded by Capt. Joseph M. Cavanaugh and Company C commanded by Capt. Robert L. Wood, Jr.


  1. Southwest Pacific Theater. Colonel Oliver W. van den Berg Regt Hq. For exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services during the period 11 December 1943 to 13 March 1945 in the SWPA, the above officer awarded the Legion of Merit per General Order 143, GHQ AFPAC, 31 August 1945.

  2. Arare - Wakde operations Capt. Curtis F. Gibson 0-454809 Co. D Cpl. Anton Sonju 36022692 Co. E T/5 George E Leduc 31115292 Co. E T/Sgt Elton H Liles 34008313 Hq co sh bn for heroic achievement in connection with military operations against the enemy the above were awarded the Bronze Star Medals.

  3. New Guinea Campaign 1st Lt. Yancey L James 0-11-6850 Co. A 1st Lt Orville C Allison 0-9105447 Co. C for heroic and meritorious achievement respectively in connection with military operations against the enemy the above were awarded the Bronze Star Medal. PFC John W. Hoover 33654752 Co. A T/5 George S. Meadows 33642077 Co. B Pvt. George H. Leahan 32961943 Co. B S/Sgt Harold M Brake 19125510 Co. A T/4 Morris De Gregorio 33221275 Co. A T/5 Harold A. Todd 3739967 Co. A T/5 Robert G. Diamond 33777307 Co. B T/5 Thomas J. Lee 32680846 Co. A T/5 Richard W. Phalon 19126173 Co. A T/4 Stanley M. Pearce 33642523 Co. A T/4 Stephen Coppolino 32231704 1463 EMC 1st Lt. Yancey L. Jamep 0-1106850 Co. A PFC John H. Regner 35255792 Co. B T/4 Obed E. Beal 31000764 Co. A T/5 Charles F. Dotzler 35932646 Co. A PFC Edward E. Wolfe 33642395 Co. A T/5 Frederick M. Brown 36854671 Co. A PFC Edward E. Wolfe 33642395 Co. A T/5 Frederick M. Brown 35854671 Co. A PFC Louis O. Kirkland 6728406 Hq Hq Co. T/5 Mathias J. Severance Jr. 32666849 Co. C T/Sgt Edward M. Lucas 14097649 1463 EMC For heroism displayed in rescue of armed forces personel from drowning the above were awarded the Soldiers Medal.

  4. Luzon Campaign Major Robert M. Luby 0-1101932 Hq Sh Bn For meritorious achievement at Batangae Province Luzon, P.I. from 9 May 1945 to 13 July 1945 in connection with military operations against the enemy, the above was awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Bronze Medal.

  5. Borneo Campaign Major Edward J. Cullinan 0-401565 Hq Bt Bn Capt. Berten C Bean 0-438748 Med Det. Capt. Edwin D. Bolenbaugh 0-491638 1463 EMC Capt. Robert L. Wood Jr. 0-11-2554 Co. C 1st Lt. Victor E. Friedman 0-1102731 Co. B 1st Lt. Judson M Yoak 0-1102521 Co. B 1st Sgt Dennis Cunningham 15077157 Co. A Capt. Joseph M. Cavanaugh 0-1102183 Co. B Capt. John C. Seale 0-11-8999 Co. A T/5 George W. Massey 34249280 1463 EMC S/Sgt John L. Thompson 20204055 Hq Co Bt Bn 1st Lt. Philip A Bassetti 0-1108456 Co. A 1st Lt. Harry M Kluba 0-1108781 Co. B T/4 Grover B White 32945446 Hq Hq Co for meritorious achievement in connection with military operations against the enemy, the above were awarded the bronze star medal.


COMPANY "A" 593rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
3rd Engineer Special Brigade
San Francisco, P.O.E.

20, December 1945

Subject: Military History

To : Army War College, Historical Records Branch, Washington 25, D.C.

1. The following is the military history of this organization:

This unit was activated 12 August 1942 at Camp Edwards Massachusetts with 23 Enlisted Men and 3 Officers. There we received basic training and learned to handle small craft-----LCVP's, LCVPR's and LCM's.

After two months of confusion and training, we left Camp Edwards on 30 October 1942. There we trained the 28th (Keystone) Infantry Division in amphibious landings. By this time, the men were expert boat handlers and no long became seasick in the heavy surfs. We weathered two heavy storms that sent boats fifty yards up on the beach among the small growth at the waters edge. The men became effecient signalmen, fiflemen, mechanics and cooks, and after five months of training we moved to Fort Ord, in sunny California where we wore woolen O.D.'s and were cold one year around.

Further training in scouting , swimming and boat handling as recieved here and after eight month at Fort ord, we went to Camp Stoneman, California where we were processed for overseas duty.

We left the U.S.A. on the 9th day of January 1944 aboard the U.S. Army Transport " Sea Flasher" bound for Goodenenough Island off the southeast coast of New Guinea. We arrived here on the afternoon of 2 February 1944 amid a down-pour of rain and set up camp in the deep mud of New Guinea. later we found that this was only a sample of the future so we soon became resigned to the fact that life in New Quinea was to be filled with confusion and various jobs of construction of bridges, roads, buildings, assembling trucks for the orunance and best of all recieved our first LCM's from the assembly plant at Milne Bay.

We immediately built houses on them and started runnning convoys containing needed supplies to Finschhafen. Finally, our first chance at a combat landing appeared and we loaded aboard and LSD------ Sheridan and steamed off to Aitape, New Guinea. We Landed the 32nd Infantry Division on 22 April 1944 on the shore at Aitape and then made landings on Seleo and Ali islands six miles off the Aitape Beach. we lost 14 LCV's at Aitape and lost one Officer and five enlisted men during our six months stay there running missions up and down the coast and unloading liberty ships in the heavy surfs.

We were glad to leave Aitape on 8 October 1944 and go to Noemfoor Island, Dutch New Guinea where we arrived 13 October after stopping at Maffin Bay Wadke and Biak Islands for fuel and rations. One LCM was lost in one heavy seas between Wadke and Biak, but one crew members were saved.

At Noemfoor, we unloaded Liberty ships and ran supply missions to Biak and Sansapor. We had a Re - Fueling detail at Sansapor for [a so] that there would be no delay when the boats arrived. while at Noemfoor, We sent patrols inland in search of the enemy and these patrols were responsible for the capture or death of numerous Japs. We also had LCM's patroling the waters in and around the adjacent islands and Noemfoor. We enjoyed our stay at Noemfoor and for the first time we were able to get beer, cigarette lighters and watches and many other much longed for items also the recreational facilities here were the best so far we had movies three times a week plenty of softball, basketball and volleyball which kept the morale at a high peak.

But all good things must end and we left Noemfoor on 22 April 1945 aboard our company LCM'swith all men and equipment aboard and started on long run to Morotai, Netherlands East Indies. On the way the Convoy picked up fuel and rations and continued on towards its destination unfortunately, the navigator took us off our course and the convoy ended up in the Halmaharas. But were soon found and escorted by patrolling P.T. boats the company arrived at [Leon Goe Leon Goe] Island (Morotai N.E.I.) on 24 April 1945. Here practice landings were made in preparation for the coming Oboe II operation the landing at Balikpapan, Borneo. After two months of maintenance work and practicing landings, we left Morotai on 25 June 1945 being towed by LSM's enroute to Oboe II Operation.

We arrived at Balikpapan, Borneo in the early morning of 1 July 1945 and unloaded personnel from ships at 0615. The landing was made at 0900 under intense enemy fire, but we lost no men or boats. The next day 2 July 1945 one LCM received a direct hit from enemy artillery that caused the losing of three men. On 3 July, while unloading supplies under enemy fire, two LCM's were sunk by mines causing seven casualities. Company Headquarters was set up from enemy shore batteries and mortors. We changed sites three times and each time the firing forced us to withdraw to a place of safety behind a small hill near the beach.

On 5 July four LCM's took part in a combat landing on the south side of Balikpapan Harbor where they were fired upon by 5 inch shore batteries. on 7 July, one LCM struck a mine and sank causing three casualities. on 14 July the company gunboat, carring four 20 mm AA guns mounted on the deck and two twin 50 cal machine guns mounted in B-25 ball turrents-forward and two single 50 cal machine guns mounted in stern and carrying two banks of 13.4 rockets, was sent up from Riko River to destroy enemy gun positions. The boat drew fire from enemy 25mm and machine guns, then slowly moved in, straffing the area and finally silenced the guns by rocket fire.

On 16 July, while patrolling the Riko River, one LCM drew enemy fire from 25mm and machine gun emplacements ashore. The boat returned fire until it was out of range but the enemy scored one direct hit and had one EM wounded. The boat was ambushed on the return trip, but no casualities were sustained.

On 23 July, the company gunboat had a field day. While patrolling the Riko River it engaged and destroyed one 70 foot enemy gunboat then it surprised and captured one 170 foot three-hold cargo ship and put Aussie troops aboard. That night the gunboat ambushed and destroyed another enemy gunboat and counted five enemy dead. We suffered no casualities. The next night, the company area was bombed and again we came out with no casualites.

The time between 10 August and 10 September was occupied by running combat patrols, re-supply missions and the unloaded of liberty ships. Then on 10 September the company gunboat and two cargo LCM's left Balikpapan to make first peace negotiations in this area with Rear Admiral Nomiva Sabto, Commander of enemy forces at Balikpapan. 2nd Lt. Howard J Gallagher, platoon Leader of this company signed as the representative of the U.S. armed forces fo this area.

Immediately upon completion of negotiations all company LCM's and gunboats were used to transport enemy troops from their river camps and hide-outs to Balikpapan. Upon completion of this task the LCM's were salvaged and sunk after one year of continuous running and the company was preparing for movement to Batangas, Luzon, Philippine Islands.

We left Balikpapan, Borneo on 26 October 1945 aboard "S.S. John Catron" destination, Batangas, We arrived at Batangas 6 November 1945. While at Batangas, the Commanding Officer, Executive Officer and all key enlisted personnel left us and went home on points leaving the company to struggle under new management to prepare to return to the U.S. All organizational property and equipment was turned in and all records cleared with Base "R" (Batangas) and we boarded the U. S. S. Geneva 30 November 1945 enroute to port of Debarkation. We arrived in the United States at 0844 19 December debarked and were quartered in Camp Stoneman by 1800 19 December 1945. Company records were checked by base Head-quarters repersentatives.

On 21 December 1945, Company "A" 593rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment was disbanded per --------Par 43 SO# 335 Hqs ASF SFPOE, Camp Stoneman, California.

2. The Briefness of this report is due to the fact that the company commander, executive officer and all key enlisted personnel were dischaged under the point system prior to units de-activation.

Elvan F. Robertson
1st Lt., C.E.



Subject: Military History 21 December 1945

To: Army War College, Historical Records, Branch Washington 25, D.C.

1. Following is the military history of this organization:

Company "B" was formed in Camp Edwards, Mass. 6 August 1942 the original cadre was company commander 2nd Lt Soloman M. White, executive officer 2nd Lt. John L. Whitney, 2nd Lt Victor E. Friedman, and 2nd Lt. Judson M. Voak Line Officers. the twenty three orginal EM cadre camefrom 186th F.A. Pine Camp N.Y. The company was quartered in Candoit tent camp that was just set up and not very comfortable. at this base men were assigned to unit and a training and indoctrinational program on amphibious work. The company spent one week pup tents at Popinesset, Mass, while they practiced .50 cal. A.A. firing. there was also preliminary training in boat manouvers. these were very disorganized and rugged.

The company moved from Camp Edwards by train Camp Carrabelle, Florida 28 October 1942 arriving at Camp Carrabelle 2 November 1942 The quarters at this base were improvement over Candoit but the weather was more trying. At Camp Carrabelle the company recieved a few boats and very extended boat training program followed. Most of the boat problems were battalion regiment or brigade affairs and these usually were practice landings on Dog Island with elements of the 28th or 38th Inf. Divisions. More men were assigned to the company and those men not working on boats were given engineer basic training about 1 March 1943 fourteen men of the 38th division were drowned when the boat struck a sand bar in a cold pitch black storm and the coxswain thought he was ashore lowered the ramp and the infantry filed out. The company had two furlough periods while at this camp in December 1942 and March 1943. The stay at this camp not very pleasant. About 1 April, Lt Babbage and Twenty five EM left Camp Carrabelle as part of Brigade detail to run the boats back up to Camp Edwards Mass. Camp Carrabelle name was changed to Camp Gordon Johnston by W.D. order.

Company "B" and Company "E" 593d E.A.R. moved from Camp Gordon Johnston, Florida to East Garrison Fort Ord, Calif, 18 April 1943 by train arrived at Fort Ord 23 April 1943. More men joined the organization and continuous training and physical development programs were carried on.

On 5 July 1943 the company set up a bivouac camp on Deo Laveaga Park, Santa Cruz, Calif. A three weeks training followed during which swimming was taught at Santa Cruz Pool, two hours a day also a series of hikes to condition the men for forty five miles march back to Fort Ord. upon returning to Fort Ord the company was quartered in Main Garrison. The training from this time until 12 December 1943 was rifle marksmanship and required subjects for overseas movement. Unit departed from Fort Ord, Calif. to P.O.E. Camp Stoneman Calif. by train 12 December 1943 Code number b - 0126j. Arrived Camp Stoneman same day.

Company was stationed at Camp Stoneman 12 December 1943 to 8 January 1944 time spent processing men for overseas awaited transportation.

Boarded U.S.A.T. Seaflasher, A C - 3 ship, 8 January 1944 at Oakland P.O.E.1815 hours Company strength fourteen officers and three hundred and sixty two EM Departed San Francisco 9 January 1944 unknown destination; quarters crowded and only two poor meals a day during voyage.

U.S.A.T. Sea Flasher developed engine trouble and anchored in New Caladonia Harbor 2100 hours 25 January 1944 departed 0600 hours 28 January 1944. Troops remained aboard.

Arrived Milne Bay, New Guinea 1100 hours 1 February 1944 departed Milne Bay 0830 hours 2 February 1944 Troops did not disembark at Milne Bay.

Arrived Goodenough Island 1600 hours 2 February 1944 disembarked at Island at 2100 hours and joined remainder of the regiment there set up camp in the dark and pouring rain. Company gradually aquired boats from Milne Bay by sending details from this base forward echelon departed 9 February 1944 Goodenough Island for Finschafen on three L.C.V.P. 1st Lt Whitney and 1st Lt Hutchinson and ten EM.

Detail arrived 11 February 1944 and prepared area for company . Company departed Goodenough Island 24 February 1944 for Finschafen. Carried Company "E" , w/organizaitonal equipment as well as company cargo. Forty seven boats made up convoy of L.C.M.s and L.C.V.P.s.

Arrived Finschafen, New Guinea 1800 hours 26 February 1944, distant run one hundred and eighty five miles. Area was just cleared and camp set up when ordered to Arawe, New Britain.

Departed Finschhafen 2100 hours 4 March 1944 and arrived Arawe Island, New Britain 0830 hours 5 March 1944 Relieved 592d E.B. & S.R. unit 10 March 1944 and took over missions. While at Arawe Company was attached to 158th Inf. Combat Team and ran L.C.M. patrols and supply missions to established outposts on the Southern side of New Britain. Patrols extended East as far as Jacquinot Bay. Company maintained scheduled supply run to Finschhafen and three L.C.M.s on a mission with the 158th Inf. were strafed by two P-39s at 1500 hours 11 March 1944 near Melinglo Island. Lt. Christian and S/sgt Raffanti were seriously wounded, Lt James and four EM wounded as a result of strafing.

Unit received commendation from Lt. Gen Cunningham. C.G. 158th Inf. Combat Team for work done with that unit on New Britain. The 3d Platoon of 1463d E.B.M. was attached to the company to do third and fourth echelon maintenance.

Departed 0700 hours 23 June 1944 aboard company craft for Maffin Bay, Dutch New Guinea. Convoy consisted of fifty boats. Stopovers were made at Madang, Malala, and Aitape for refueling maintenance and to take on water. One L.C.S. and one L.C.V.P. were swamped in a storm between Finshhafen and Madang and sunk.

Arrived Maffin Bay N.E.I. 0600 hours 1. July 1944 distance traveled 700 miles. The company set up camp on the beach just inside of perimeter and were continually alerted. Duties at this base were literage, unloading liberty ships and suply missions for Air Corps.

Departed Maffin Bay 0600 hours 17 hours 17 August 1944 onboard organizational craft Refueled at Biak N.E.I. 18 August 1944 and proceeded to Manim Island (just off Noemfoor N.E.I.) 1700 hours 19 August 1944; distance run 300 miles. The area had to be cleared by hand and had to be set up three times by order of the Battalion C.O. Capt. Soloman M. White and 1st Lt. John L. Whitney were relieved 6 October 1944 and 1st Lt Joseph M. Cavanaugh was appointed C.O. and 2nd Lt John G. Orr appointed executive Officer Lt Cavanaugh and Lt Orr joined the organization 9 October 1944. The company moved to Broe Bay, Noemfoor Island 19 October 1944 The company recieved commendation for hauling aviation gas for Leyte Operation bombing planes when pipe line broke. Missions at Noemfoor consisted of literage and convoy runs to Biak, Hollandia and Sansapor. During the stay at Noemfoor three details were sent to Milne Bay New Guinea to pick up new boats and run them up the coast to the company. Convoy commanders 2nd Lt Victor E Friedman. 2nd Lt Judson M Voak and 2nd Lt Wilma B. Morris.

On 13 January 1945 three officers and forty five EM (1st Platoon) were sent to Sansapor Dutch New Guinea to relieve 533 E.B. & S.R. and were attached to the 167 Inf. Regt. for duty. Due to high surf, lack of replacement party and adverse conditions for boat operations detail had a hard time meeting boat requirements.

Company departed from Noemfoor Island N.E.I. 0600 hours 2 april 1945 and arrived at Loengoe Loengoe Island, Morati N.E.I. 6 April 1945 The convoy stopped as Sansapor 3 April 1945 to refuel. The 1st Platoon rejoined the company at Morati 10 April 1945. On 16 April 1945 Company "B" and attached units were attached to the Ninth Australian Division for OBOE One operation. Left Morati 1600 hours 27 April 1945 aboard the U.S.S. Rushmore for initial assault landing at Tarakan, Boreneo. The boats that were not aboard the Rushmore were either deck loaded on convoy ships or towed behind various craft. Arrived Tarakan, Borneo 0600 hours 1 May 1945 assault waves five and six consisted of company landing craft. Assault landing was carried out excellently and Company "B" recieved commendation from U.S. Naval C.O. Capt Gray and Brig. Gen Whitehead C.G. Aust. Inf Brig. 1st Lt. Gregery S. Burtch was seriously wounded and died same evening 5 May 1945 when the jeep in which he was riding was blown up by a land mine.

On 31 May 1945 0600 hours Company "B" and attached units left Tarakan, Borneo to participate in OBOE six operation Movement by company boats; convoy consisted of eight Navy L.C.T.'s Company "B" boats and the australian friget "Barco" for escort. The convoy stopped at Tawi Tawi, P.I. on 1 June 1945 and left 4 June 1945 after refueling maintinance and obtaining water. arrived Balabac, P.I. on 5 June 1945, refueled and rested then left for Labuan Island. Borneo 9 June 1945.

Capt. Cavanaugh stepped ashore at 1100 hours 11 June 1945 and the convoy was rafted up by 1200 hours as per movement orders; total mileage 675. Noon meal was served and then boats were unloaded and went to work immediately. whle at Labuan Island the company craft participated in the following cambat operations:

a. 13 June 1945 two L.C.M's and one gunboat took a patrol to Pappan Island for reconassince b. 17 June 1945 thirty one L.C.M.'s made a landing at Weston. Capt. Cavanaugh in charge; no oposition. c. 19 June 1945 six L.C.M.s and a gunboat landed at Menkapul in North Borneo. 1st Lt Cunningham was mission leader. These boats continued operating with patrols up the Klias River to Melikal 1st Lt. Voak relieved Lt. Cunningham. d. 21 June 1945 patrol to Beaufort on Padas River was ambushed by the enemy. Capt. Cavanaugh and S/sgt Mcghiehan were wounded, three EM's slighty wounded. e.7 July 1945 one gunboat and one L.C.V.P. patrol; duty on Padas River. f. 9 July 1945 two L.C.M's made landing at point south of Andus (Kimanis Bay)

Company "B" boats made initial landing at Papar and had continual supply assignment. the boats were very busy and very essential in this area operation because they could move combat units quickly for flanking attacks and disrupt enemies defense. There were not any passable roads so the boats were essential to supply troops.

During the early hours of 21 June 1945, a Japanese suicidal raiding party infilitrated through the perimeter and about 0445 hours, attacked our company area. The two guards challenged the approaching party and fired upon them. When the challenge was not complied with the guards withdrew and warned the company of the attack The enemy had a concealed approach to our area and also had cover of our truck parked on their side of the road. The enemy fired into the tents set fire to the seats of a 1 1/2 ton 6x6 truck in the attempt to put it out of commission. They also caused six flat tires on the vehicles. The raiding party set fire to the company laundry tent and this in turn ignited four drums of gasoline, which illuminated the area giving light for the company to return fire three "B" Company men T/4 Goldschmidt, T/5 Venersky and Pvt Curtis were fatally wounded; T/4 Lord and T/5 Benham were seriously wounded. Two men were slightly wounded. In the morning after hostilities ceased, thirty four Japanese were found killed by "B" Company and adjoining units.

The company turned over thirty eight L.C.M's to the Australians then salvaged the remaining boats because they were worn out and unfit for service.

The company moved from Labuan Island, Borneo 30 Octover 1945 aboard the liberty ship "Richard Yates", and arrived at Batangas, Luzon. P.I. on 5 November 1945. The moved into area left by 2nd Battalion this Regiment. Unit was made Catagory IV for deactivation per Movement Order #K-1 Headquarters Eighth Army, dated 14 November 1945 and the time at Batangas was spent turning in equipment and preparing records.

Departed 30 November 1945 for San Francisco, California aboard the "U.S.S. Geneva" Three Officers and One Hundred and Eighty five EM arrived San Francisco California P.O.E. 0844 hours 19 December 1945 and moved to Camp Stoneman, California for final deactivation.

The Company was deactivated per paragraph 43 special Order 355 army service forces, San francisco P.O. E Camp Stoneman Calif dated 21 December 1945.

John Orr
1st Lt. C.E.



21 December 1945

Subject: Company History

To: Army War College, Historical Records Branch
Washington, D.C.

1. The following is the Military History of this Organization

This Unit was activated at Camp Edwards, Massachusetts 6 August 1942 as a part of the 593rd Engineer Boar Regiment of the 3rd Engineer Amphibian Brigade. The unit started its training program immediately. In additon to the schools on the navigation motor maintenance, Gunnery , Communications and Operations complete infantry training perpared the men to be equally at home on land on the sea.

The unit remined at Camp Edwards until 30 Octover 1942. after a three-day trip by rail the 593rd EB&SR arrived at Camp Carrabelle Florida on 1 November 1942 there we worked in close cooperation with the U.S. Navy an intensive training program combining the principles of Amphibious operations was initiated upon the arrival of the 38th inf. div after six weeks of training with us the 38th div moved out and the 28th inf div moved in to Carrabelle. The unit continued to train with the 29th div until mid april 1943 with the 3rd Brigade received orders to entrain for Fort Ord, Calif.

Prior to this a number of men of this unit formed part of the provisional boat company which navigated over 30 landing craft water from Camp Carrabelle to Camp Edwards at Cape Cod. The 1800 mile trip was noteworty achievement inasmuch as all boats arrived safely and in good operating condition the experience was to prove invaluable subsequently in foreign waters . The men of the provisional boat company joined the rest of the 593rd at Fort Ord in [the way-May?] of that year.

The balance of this unit left Florida on 19 April 1943 and arrived at Fort Ord on 24 April 1943 at Fort Ord the unit recieved both infantry and boat training. The rough surf at Monterey, Calif was also to prove invaluable experience.

On 12 December 1943 the unit entrained for Camp Stoneman, Calif. to stage for overseas on 8 December 1943 the unit left Camp Stoneman and boarded the U.S. Army transport Sea Flasher to San Francisco to embark they sailed on 9 January 1944 and after an uneventful voyage arrived at Goodenough Island Near New Guinea 2 February 1944.

At Goodenough the men became acclimated to tropical conditions. There also the unit acquired the landing Craft with which it was to conduct it's operations. On 17 April 1944 .Co. C travelled on it's own LCM's and LCVP's to Saidor, arriving 21 April 1944. Together with the "Diggers of the 5th Australian Div., Co. C prepared for it's first combat mission.

The surprise landings were executed on 24 April at Bogjim and at Madang, New Guinea. the disembarkation was swift and efficient. In rapid succession Co. C landed Australian troops at Alexishafen and at points along the coast as far as Hansa Bay. Many small islands were also occupied along the coast.

With Madang as our base, the LCM's ranged up and down the New Guinea Coast from Milne Bay to Hollandia. A platoon of scouts patrolled the coast bringing back valuable information regarding enemy installations and troop movements. Two LCM's whose mission was to rescue an isolated Aussie patrol up the Ramu River were ambushed by enemy fire. The foliage and thick brush on either side of the narrow stream offered perfect concealment for the Jap Machine Gunners and Riflemen. The LCM's returned fire with 50 calibre Machine Guns. The Australian Patrol was picked up and the mission was completed. Two men of Co. C were wounded by enemy fire. Enemy casualities were estimated as 22 dead.

Specially built boats became an urgent necessity to us as support for the LCM's. Two LCMs were therefore converted into gunboats. Armed with Rockets, 20 mm. Cannon and 50 Cal. Machine Guns, The Flak Boat were formidable craft for their size and became known as Vest-Pocket Destroyers.

On 2 February 1945 Co. C joined the 6th Australian Div. at Aitape in New Guinea. The Aussies were engaged in the task of routing the Japs entrenched in the Wewak Sector and the reaches of the Sepic River. The LCM's engaged in combat and supply missions between Aitape and Wewak.

On about 15 April 1945 the Co. loaded aboarded its own LCM's and travelled on its own power to Moratai in the Moluccas, a distance of over 700 miles, with refueling stops at Hollandia Noemfoor, Wakde, Biak and Sansapor. We arrived at Moratai on 4 May 1945.

Here the company staged with the 9th Australian Div., the "Rats of Tobruk" for the impending invasion of Brunei Bay in North Borneo. The major portion of the LCM's were loaded aboard and LSD. The huge task of force headed for what was to be one of the very last major landings of the war.

Labuan Island and various points on the mainland were first invaded on 10 June 1945. Despite sand bars and under enemy mortar and machine gun fire, the LCMs discharged their men and tanks without a loss. On the night of 21 June. The Japs still remaining on Labuan Island sprung a Banzai attack on our beach and maintenance and tent areas in an effort to cause as much damage and casualities as possible. The men of this unit behaved creditably under fire. The Japs were all annihilated. Our Co. suffered no casualities.

The end of the war found Co. C at Labuan Island in Brunei Bay, Borneo. On 30 October 1945 the unit left for Batangas, Luzon, P.I. aboard the Libert Ship Richard Yates. The unit arrived at Batangas 4 November 1945, and remained there until 30 November 1945. On that date Co. C together with the rest of the Rear Echelon of the 3rd E.S.B. left of the United States aboard the U.S.s. Geneva, PA 86. We disembarked at San Francisco P.O.E. on the 19th of December and proceeded by Army Ferry to Camp Stoneman, California. The Company then was transferred to Separation Centers and the company deactivated on 22 December 1945.

Alfred A Dormaier
1st Lt. CE


Headquarters Company, Boat Battalion
593rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment
3d Engineer Special Brigade
San Francisco, P.O.E.

To: Army War College, Historical Records Branch, Washington 25 D.C.

1. The following is the military history of this organization.

Headquarters Company was activated at Camp Edwards, Mass. 6 Aug 1942 as a part of the 593rd Engineer Boat Regiment, 3rd Engineer Amphibian Brigade. This unit remained there until 30 October 1942 building up its strength and undergoing basic training. After a three day trip by rail the 593rd arrived at Camp Carrabelle, Florida on November 1st 1942.

An intensive training program combining all elements of amphibious operations was begun at Camp Carrabelle upon arrival of the 38th infantry Division. At the end of six weeks the 38th Division moved out and the 28th Infantry Division moved into Carrabelle. This organization continued to train with the 28th Division until the middle of April 1943 when orders were recieved for the 3rd Brigade to move to Fort Ord, California. Prior to this a number of men in Headquarters Company formed part of the Provisional Boat Company which moved over 30 landing craft by water from Camp Carrabelle to Camp Edwards, Mass. on Cape Cod. This was a trip of over 1800 miles and was a most worthy achievement in as much as all boats arrived safely and in good condition. The men in the Porvisional Company rejoined the Company headquarters at Fort Ord in May.

The Balance of Company left Florida on 19 April 1943 and arrived at Fort Ord on 24 April 1943. At Fort Ord the unit recieved both infantry and boat training. The beach at Monterey, California is noted for its heavy surf so the boatmen gained valuable experience for future boat operations.

On December 1943 the company entrained for Camp Stoneman, Calif to stage for overseas. On 8 Jan 1944 the unit left Camp Stoneman boarding the USAT Sea Flasher at San Francisco Port of Embarkation. The ship sailed on 9 Jan 1944 and after an uneventful trip arrived at Goodenough Island, New Guinea on 2 Feb 1944 although stops of a few hours were made at New Caledonia and at Milne Bay, New Guinea.

Headquarters Company left Goodenough Island on 27 Mar 1944 and traveled via LCM landing craft to Finschhafen, New Guinea Arriving there on 29 Mar 1944. Headquarters Company acted as a supply agency for the letter companies fo the boat Battalion, These Companies having moved farther up the coast of New Guinea on combat operations.

On 18 August 1944 Headquarters Company left Finschhafen traveling a 1000 miles up the coast of New Guinea to Noemfoor Island, N.E.I. stops were made for refueling and resupply at Madang, Aitape, Wakde Island and at Biak in the Schouten Islands.

Headquarters Company remained at Noemfoor from 4 September 1944 to 20 April 1945 with the balance of the 593rd while at Noemfoor, numerous trips or "milk runs" were made to Biak (Schouten Islands) and Hollandia, New Guinea by LCM, "J" boat and Crash Boats on resupply and scouting missions. A number of Headquarters Company men partieicpated in infantry patrols while stationed at Noemfoor.

On 20 April 1945 the Company left again by small landing craft for Morotai Island, N.E.I. a refueling stop was made at Sansopor, Dutch New Guinea. Extremely heavy seas were encountered between Noemfoor and Sansopor which resulted in the loss of a Headquarters Company LCM. the crew was rescued but the loss of the boat was unfortunate as all the Company records including the company property book and the company history went down with the boat.

The unit arrived at Morotai on 24 April 1945 and the Boat Battalion of the 593rd immediately begun staging for the Borneo Operations. On 4 June 1945 the company left Morotai in a large task force loaded aboard an LSB AKA LST and LCI. Headquarters Company landed at Labuan Island, Brunei Bay, British North Borneo with elements of the 9th Australian Division, better known as the "Rats of Tobruk". Other than the 727th Amphibian Tractor Battalion the Boat Battalion of the 593rd was the only American unit on Borneo. The Borneo landings were the last of the war.

During the Borneo Operations Headquarters Company did Yoeman service with its LCM rocket boat. This craft was used as a gunboat in numberous small landings and river operations on the coast of British North Borneo.

On the night of 21 June 1945 at Victoria Town, Labuan Island approximately 100 Japanese broke thru the perimeter into the Boat Battalion area in the suicide charge, A battle raged all night before the enemy was finally overcome. In the early hours of the morning headquarters company lost its Company Commander, 1st Lt. John L. Whitney of Philadelphia, Pa., who was killed whle evacauting wounded from the Company "B" area.

On 30 Oct 1945 the unit sailed from Labuan Island, Borneo aboard the Liberty Ship Yates bound for Batangas, Luzon in the Philippine Islands. The Company arrived at Batangas on 4 November 1945. The time at Batagas was spent in turning in equipment in preparation for return to the United States.

On 30 November 1945 the Company Boarded the USS Geneva and sailed for the United States. The Geneva sailed under the Golden Gate at 0844 hours on 19 December 1945, docking at San Francisco at about 0930 hours from San Francisco the company moved by ferry to Pittsburg, California and Camp Stoneman, California.

On 22 Dec 1945, HQ Company Boat Battalion 593rd E.B.& S.R was deactivated. The company after an enviable record covering a period of three years and four months, thus becomes a part of the history of World War II.

Note: This history was rewritten just prior to deativation at Camp Stoneman, Calif and is very brief as the complete Company History was lost along with other company records when a company LCM sank in heavy seas while in convoy between Sansopor, D.N.G. and Morotai, N.E.I

Oliver S Hall
1st Lt., C.E.



SPTAG-SHP 22 December 1945

SUBJECT: Unit Historical File

TO: O.I.C. Historical Section, Army War College
Washington D.C.

1. In compliance with the provisions of paragraph 11, AR 345-105 dated 13 November 1929 and amendments thereto, transmitted herewith is the unit Historical file of the 593rd Engr Boat and Shore Regt of 3rd Eng Special Brigade.
2. This unit was inactivated on 22 December 1945 at the disposition center under the Jurisdiction of this command by authority of General Orders Number 132 issued by Seattle Port of Embarkation, Seattle Washington, dated 19 December 1945.

E.G. Arnold
Colonel, TC

1 Incl:
Incl: #J -Unit Historical file

PHOTOGRAPHS OF PERSONNEL, IMPORTANT SCENES OR EVENTS reference is made to the 3rd Engineer Special Brigade Historical Reports and files. For details of combat operations engaged in by the Regiment, reference is made to operations reports, 593rd Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment forwarded separtely from Vancouver Barracks, Washington to the War Department Return to 533rd Homepage Return to 3rd Brigade Homepage This page created 03/29/03 and last updated 08/22/19.